As the holiday season approaches, many families are looking for the perfect Christmas tree to decorate their homes. While artificial trees are a choice, there's nothing quite like a real live Christmas tree.
Ashe County, NC is home to a variety of Choose and Cut Christmas tree farms, each offering its own unique charm and selection of trees. From the quaint family-owned farms to larger operations, visitors have an array of options to explore in their quest for the perfect Christmas tree. Below you will find a link on the tree farms in Ashe County who take part in Choose and Cut,
Ashe County Christmas Tree Association
Planning your stay in the mountains? StayBlueRidge.com has cozy mountain homes that are available. Book early – as this is a busy time of the year.
What is a Choose and Cut experience?
A choose and cut experience is exactly what it sounds like. Instead of buying a pre-cut tree from a store, you visit a tree farm and choose your own tree to cut down. This experience allows you to select the perfect tree for your home and create memories with your family. It's a fun and unique way to kick off the holiday season.
There are many benefits to choosing and cutting your own Christmas tree
- You get to choose the perfect tree for your home
- It's a fun and memorable experience for the whole family
- You can support local businesses and farmers
- Freshly cut trees have a longer lifespan than pre-cut trees
- It's better for the environment, as trees are a renewable resource
How to choose the perfect Christmas tree
Here are some tips for selecting the perfect tree:
- Consider the size of your room and the height of your ceiling
- Look for a full and symmetrical tree
- Check for any bare spots or damage
- Make sure the trunk is straight and will fit in your stand
Once you've found the perfect tree, the staff at the farm will provide you with a saw and guide you to the cutting area, or farms will cut the tree that you have chosen for you.
Farm offers a variety of Christmas tree types to choose from. Here are some of the most popular options:
- Fraser Fir: This tree is known for its strong branches and soft needles, making it a popular choice for families with young children or pets.
- Douglas Fir: This tree has a classic Christmas tree shape and a sweet fragrance.
- Blue Spruce: This tree has a distinctive blue-green color and strong branches, making it ideal for heavy ornaments.
- White Pine: This tree has soft needles and a delicate appearance, making it a good choice for smaller ornaments.
Tips for Cutting Down Your Own Christmas Tree
Cutting down your own Christmas tree can be a lot of fun, but it's important to do it safely. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Wear sturdy shoes and warm clothing.
- Bring gloves and a saw if the farm doesn't provide them.
- Cut the tree close to the ground, leaving a few inches of trunk.
- Have someone hold the tree steady while you saw.
- Watch out for other people and trees in the area.
Fun Activities and Attractions at Selected Farms
- Wagon rides: Take a scenic wagon ride around the farm and enjoy the beautiful countryside.
- Petting zoo: Kids will love meeting the farm animals, including goats, pigs, and chickens.
- Santa's workshop: Meet Santa and his elves and take part in holiday crafts and activities.
- Gift shop: Browse the selection of handmade gifts and decorations, including wreaths, ornaments, and more.
Supporting Local Businesses
By choosing to visit an Ashe County tree farm, you're not only supporting a local business, but also the community as a whole. The farm sources its trees and products from local suppliers, and many of the attractions are run by local organizations. You can feel good knowing that your purchase is making a positive impact.
Planning Your Visit to an Ashe County for Your Christmas Tree
If you're planning a visit to the North Carolina Mountains, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Check the farm's hours of operation and make sure to arrive early to avoid crowds.
- Bring cash or check for your purchase, as the farm may not accept credit cards.
- Dress warmly and wear appropriate footwear.
- Consider bringing snacks and drinks, as there may not be food available for purchase.
- Don't forget your camera to capture all the memories!
Choose and Cut is a family tradition creating treasured memories and filling our homes with the timeless scent of freshly cut evergreens.
Ashe County is the largest county of Christmas tree producers in the nation, and is located in the "coolest corner" of the North Carolina Mountains.
Enjoy your visit in the North Carolina Mountains. While you are here, visit downtown West Jefferson. Our Office is located in the "arts district" downtown, West Jefferson. Ashe High Country/Tate - 7 S. Jefferson Avenue, West Jefferson, NC